- Head: Sören Kerner, deputy Jonas Stenzel
- Size / floor area: 1,000 m²
- Number of exhibits / vehicles: 50 vehicles + 2-5 experimental vehicles
- Number of staff employed:Approx. 10 employees from 2 departments
- Opened: 22 June 2011
- Specialities: Biggest artificial intelligence experiment in intralogistics
The ideal logistics space is empty. With LivingLab cellular transport systems we are revolutionising intralogistics at Fraunhofer IML. Massively constructed and inflexible continuous conveyor technology is replaced by numerous small autonomous vehicles which flexibilise material flow.
The intelligent, interlinked transport vehicles carry out transport from a high-rise store to workstations. They coordinate with each other independently without any central control. They are capable of moving on rails in the high-rise store and completely freely on the ground, i.e. without any guide markings. This ensures the maximum of flexibility. The transport performance of the total system can be adjusted by the number of vehicles.
We implement swarm intelligence following the example of the animal kingdom, as well as autonomous behaviour in the transport vehicles, so that they communicate with each other and can coordinate their route planning. Collisions are avoided by an intelligent sensor concept as well as priority rules similar to those in road traffic.